Not Reviewing Progress of your Goal is like a Pilot not Checking the Altitude Dial!
It is the summer and you are in the second half of the year, this is a good time to take stock and review how far along the path you are to achieving your goal. At the beginning of this year I wrote Create the Mind set and Environment to Successfully Achieve your Goals in 2013. 02/01/2013 and To Achieve your Life Goals, Change your Behaviours 07/01/2013
4 Stages of Goal Setting:
1. Set the context for your goal and state your Big Scary Adventure, Purpose or Mission
2. I would recommend setting one goal and only set another once you have achieved the goal. However, you can set a goal for each area of your life (Business, Family and You).
3. Ensure your goal is written down and is SMART (Specific, Measureable, Achievable or Action-orientated, Relevant or Realistic and Timescale).
4. Break down each goal into clear and specific actions which will achieve the results.
How to you Stay on track and Achieve your Goals?
5. Have an accountability buddy, someone close to you that you have to report to and tell others (employees, partners…) about your ambitions.
6. Celebrate your success between milestones you do not have to wait for the goal to be achieved, just celebrate remaining focused and remember life is a journey.
7. Focus your thinking on new behaviours and thought patterns; create new neural pathways in your brain to change old habitual behaviours.
8. Do not race ahead of yourself judging what has not happened yet, focus on the present. ‘What is the one thing you can do today, right now, towards your goal’?
9. Be mindful, become physically, emotionally and mentally aware of your inner state as each external event happens and give yourself a break!
A Mid-Year Review is Critical
If you are a little behind target it is pointless beating yourself up, sometimes there are valid reason for this, for instance you may have made more progress in other areas or you may not have committed to the goal or the action, or your priorities may have changed.
It is important to recognise where you are ‘here and now’, without judgement. Having the experience of the last 6 months, you may realise that the goal you had set with all good intention, that you do not have the resources to achieve the goal alone and so your review may lead you to change the goal, extend the timeline or abandon it and set another goal.
This is the value of a mid- year review and evaluation, to ensure that you do not end the year having not achieved your goal. Take the time to re-evaluate your goal and where necessary re-commit to the actions to ensure that you achieve the required results by the end of the year. Goal setting is a structured process that requires discipline and the commitment to succeed. To succeed it is critical that you review, evaluate and adjust.
If you like this blog you may also like this https://theproblem-solver.com/assets/4-strategies-guarantee-goal-achievement/
Janice B Gordon: The Problem Solver Business Growth Consultant, Mentor, Speaker and Author. Business Evolution – Creating Growth in a Rapidly Changing World will give you the guidance you need to evolve you and your business and exceed your customers wants and needs.
More videos can be found on my Youtube channel : Problemsolvertv1