Leading our regular Thursday morning team meeting, I noticed the team’s energy was subdued and the low energy was affecting my delivery of the information. I stop, changed track and concentrated the remainder of the meeting on our purpose:
· Why are we here? Our purpose.
· Why do we do it this way? Our culture
· Why do we care? Our values
I managed to get the team fired up and I realised that I understood Why I was doing what I was doing? My job as the leader of this organisation was to ensure everyone else understood Why they were doing what they were doing, too? As a leader ‘Why’ is the most important question and answer because the How and the What is easier to convey, if the Why is embedded first.
1000Venture.com http://bit.ly/LzHnht explains the structure for creating the Why:
- Create an inspiring vision; establish shared values; give direction and set stretch goal.
- Motivating: Motivate people through communicating your strategic focus, encouraging and praising people for their achievements.
- Yin: Treat employees as owners and Yang: Inspire, challenge imagination…
As leaders we cannot assume that every team member’s behaviour and attitude is going to be aligned by working within the organisations culture. According to a Stanford Research Institute study, 88 per cent of success is about attitude and only 12 per cent is about education http://bit.ly/QaKIFl . Zig Ziglar summed this up with “Your attitude, not your aptitude, determinesyour altitude.”
How Do Attitudes Influence Behaviour? http://bit.ly/PliGFz
Researchers have discovered that people are more likely to behave according to their attitudes under certain conditions: ·
- When your attitudes are the result of personal experience.
- When you are an expert in the subject.
- When you expect a favourable outcome.
- When the attitudes are repeatedly expressed.
- When you stand to win or lose something due to the issue.
Our ability to maintaining a positive attitude in both your life and work is a determining success factor, in addition to this, our ability to transfer this attitude to others has a compound affect in the determining success. I have realised in running a business and employing staff the Why is the most important question and answer!
If you like this blog you may also like this :http://theproblem-solver.com/assets/how-to-un-limit-limiting-beliefs/
Janice B Gordon: The Problem Solver Business Growth Consultant, Mentor, Speaker and Author. Business Evolution – Creating Growth in a Rapidly Changing World will give you the guidance you need to evolve you and your business and exceed your customers wants and needs.