Personal Branding is defined as the practice of marketing yourself and your career as a brand suggesting that success comes from self-packaging. The aim is that the personal brand will build your reputation and help you to develop your network so that others will seek you out for your knowledge and expertise.
The first misconception is that many people feel that personal branding is rather egotistic and contrary to their values. Not everyone is going to be rich and famous for a big bun nor do they want to be. Authenticity is a critical element of building your personal business personality.
Celebrity is a consequence of our famous for 5 minutes throw-away culture. I am talking about more than a brand package, Personality is being the best you are here to be, for yourself, for your friends and family, for your colleagues, for your business and for your customers.
You are something of value and consequently your value is routed in your values and your purpose. You may become wealthy and famous for the value you add, I promise you that you will not have to join a celebrity reality show or take 1,000 selfies while on holiday to be recognisable.
The second misconception is through personal branding (this is your knowledge and expertise) people are reassured that you know what you are doing because your reputation demonstrates a history of delivery, therefore this encourages trust. However it does not necessarily inspire emotional engagement and connection.
I can respect you for what I know you can do, however, I may not like you and so may not recommend you. Word of mouth recommendations are the cornerstones of career and business development and sales growth.
I see these misconceptions as a failing of the concept of personal branding, which is more head than heart and today people engage with the heart more than the head.
Personal Business Personality stems from your true self, people engage with you not the product of you or your qualifications but your perspective, your experience, your values all these characters are uniquely you. The critical difference is that your personal brand is a created marketing reputation package and your personal business personality is your human difference which is who you uniquely are.
Dr Seuss said “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no alive who is You-er than You.”
The reason I developed personal business personality rather than limit to personal branding is because we are not complete avatar packages we human spiritual and psychological beings. This is what makes you uniquely great.
I wrote Business Evolution: Creating Growth in a Rapidly Changing World, wanting to share my many lessons and insights in the ‘Essential 4 P’s’, Personality (Personal business personality) being the first P.
I use the acronym PERSONALITY to explain the steps to help you form what is your authentic personal business personality:
1. P for Psychology – your character or distinctive nature or constitution.
2. E for Ethics – your values or moral principles that governs your behaviour.
3. R for Reason – your reason Why? Your purpose and what is important to you.
4. S for Strategic Goal – your deliberate long range plan to gain your authentic advantage.
5. O for One Word – this is your call to action.
6. N for Nature – your genuine essential quality and failings – to know thy self is a strength.
7. A for Aim2Achieve – your purposeful meaningful contribution.
8. L for Learning – your process of gaining lifelong knowledge and expertise and experiences (personal branding).
9. I for Inimitable – your unique core strengths.
10. T for Tribe – your group of people who share common interests and those who benefit from your contribution.
12. Y for Your Story – your account or testimony past and present into your future.
I am launching the online course that teaches you the effective strategy that amplifies your authentic personality and show your true self. I will show you how you can embrace your uniqueness, warts and all, create your personal business personality and become recognised for your greatness.
If you are interested in finding out more please contact me